Wednesday, September 8, 2010

sOME trUth We loVE TO HatE.

Let us begin by committing ourselves to the truth—to see it as it is, and tell it like it is—to find the truth, to speak the truth, and to live the truth
Richard Nixon U.S. president (1913 - 1994)

Seriously, like the fact that my jeans no longer fit and I have to resort to jumping up and down continuously while my two cousins from the obodo giggle on in the dimly-lit corridor. Or should I count the number of times I placed Daniel (my younger cousin form the famous obodo) on my tummy so I could zip up and button my shorts? And I cannot forget the black on black that I have to wear when I am going somewhere with skinny chicks. Oh! Of course there is the way I pack my hair that makes my face look longer and takes focus away from the so-called cute chubby cheeks!
Then, there is the fact that he doesn’t call you as much as you call him, and you even have to endure his famous “I’m busy response” a couple of times before you get to have a little conversation. But in your naïve mind, he is simply hustling money to take you out for that weekend he promised you twenty million years ago!
There is also the fact that your school fees are really #kobo but you say it is #naira. Or the fact that there is no course called #blablabla, but you collect money for its registration, its handout, and its examination. Let’s not forget that you are really not carrying over that #somethingsomething course, but you collect money for summer.
But those are even the big lies. It’s just the natural human instinct, to do away with the truth!
No one wants the truth if it is inconvenient, even me! So what do we do o my peoples?
So often, that we don’t even know, we are held in captivity by the truth we have refused to listen to, admit, or say—and it kills us inside, gradually, till after a while we are no longer even conscious of the fact that we are dead. Some people died so long ago that they have skipped right through this article.
We have lied so much that we don’t even know what a lie is anyone. Let me help you:
• When you are taking a dump and a boy calls you and asks what you are doing, and you say “just chilling”, na lie.
• When you see your phone ringing and you mute it, and then send a message saying “sorry I missed your call”, na lie.
• When you tell the interviewer that you have experience in the field, and you are fresh outta college, na lie.
• When your mom/dad/anyone calls you, and you shout I’m in the toilet, when you are lying down on your bed, facebooking, na lie.
• When your mum asks you if you need an advance on your allowance and your wallet is still heavy, na lie.

Seriously, I recently got nabbed on a simple “small” lie that I could have avoided. Why can’t we all just tell the truth? That is my late-in-the-year resolution o peoples, starting from now, so here is some of the truth that I love to hate…..feel free to add yours, or write it on your own article:
• I like boys! Yes, I can’t help it because I’m an emotionally alive young lady. I like to scope them, insult them, love them, and be loved by them, be chyked by them, talk to them, and ignore them.
• I am on the plus side! Yes, but in a good way though. I am not slim, chubby, or even fat; I just fill out in the right places.
• Sometimes I don’t wanna be with my friends. Sorry, but totally true. I need my alone time sometimes.
• I have terrible mood swings, and it’s not just PMS, it’s sometimes you. True story!
• I might bring you down sometimes just to make myself feel good. I am only human.
• I actually love my brother a lot and would be terrible hurt if something were to happen to him.
• I am conceited (yes! I know you have told me over and over, well this is me admitting it), and I want things to be about me, but you really cannot blame me, after all, it is my life.

There is so much more, but this piece would never end, and frankly, I have a poem to write*cheeky smile*

To end this, in the words of Virginia Woolf, British novelist and critic (1882 - 1941) if you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people.

Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. i like..and thats not a lie.
    ..and i agree too. lies always seem to be the quickest and easiest form of escape..from whatever situation. i'm making a conscious effort to live without'em now sha. especially the ''i missed ur call'' part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance of an update anytime soon... :/

    ReplyDelete