Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dear Reader!

Dear Reader,

Can Nigeria be any more sadistic than it already is?
I really doubt it; with all this carnage that is fast booming into a rampage (really didn’t mean to rhyme).

Its August 2010, couple of days before September. Place of location is Akure town, the capital of Ondo State.

Problem?
Well the problem is that jejely on my own o, I was driving to work, so I get to a round-a-bout, and what do I see but Ębǫ.

What is Ębǫ?
Now, for those who have no idea what Ębǫ is, and for those who aren’t Yoruba movie fanatics, (not saying I am one o, truth is I make it my personal business to crucify most Nollywood movies, but that is another article entirely) Ębǫ is a Yoruba word used to define a sacrifice by people to gods (notice the small g?).
Anyway, most times the sacrifice consists of a black ceramic bowl with food like yam or eba, mixed with palm oil—or something of that sort. I don’t really know because I have never gotten too close to the bowl (yes, me sef fear am).
The deal is, the sacrifice is made to appease these gods, because, I’m guessing, some ignorant herbalist somewhere has said, “E lo se Étutu”.

Bullshit.
And I say that with all respect to human rights of religion, bla bla bla. This one though is blind stupidity and ignorance.
Do these gods come down to eat of this so-called delicacy? No. the sacrifice just gets eaten by some totally random mad man who has been starving for days.
These sacrifices that are placed in front of schools, market areas, hospitals, homes, shops, are fast gaining popularity among Yoruba people.

I used to think this was just some kind of thing that you’d see in a movie but never witness in reality, but here I am, a 19-year-old simple student, being made to eat my words. I feel like an atheist who is coming face to face with God.
Are people really still this way?
I can’t even get the sight out of my head.

It is sad, that Nigerians still believe in these doctrines?
When are we going to let go of barbaric acts?
And just so you know, this isn’t the first one I am seeing, so it is not like I am just making noise.
Plus this is just the tip of the iceberg that would eventually sink the ship called Nigeria.
I mean, as if we don’t have enough on our plate with our leaders being corrupt, strikes, and lack of proper education, we now also have to worry about blood sacrifices, rituals, and kidnappings by stupid ignorant people looking for a quick buck or looking to get even with someone.

I am tired.
I am tired of being inside my house when some Deji is being crowned and the whole town is on lockdown because they are looking for heads to sacrifice.
I am tired of rushing into my house at 6 o’clock in the evening because some people are hungry to kidnap.
I am tired.

I am concerned.
I am concerned for my cute baby brother who is only 3 months old and would have to grow up in this sadistic country.
I am concerned for my unborn children who would/might grow up in this country that lacks discipline.
I am concerned.

And I just want it all to end, because enough really is enough.
I might be just one voice out of 150million, but I have given you something to think about, so please think.
For us, for our future.





Signed,
A concerned citizen!

3 comments:

  1. niCE bUt aT THE samE tIMe wE aFrIcaNs mUst BeAR in minD whaT & WHAt Not TO Let gO OFf TraditioN wiSE..

    ReplyDelete
  2. its just one of the MANY Many problems plaguing naija...its quite sad really

    ReplyDelete
  3. errr.. "ebo" is definitely 2 let go off!

    ReplyDelete